Saturday, June 9, 2007

Hurray for Hallmark!

After we moved into our new house about 5 years ago, I became obsessed with interior decorating and garden design. I subscribed to several magazines: Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion, Better Homes & Gardens, and Cottage Living to name a few. I was addicted to the Home and Garden Network, Trading Spaces, Designed to Sell, and Divine Design.

But now that my home is pretty much completed on the interior and the garden well on it's way, my interest in that particular area of my life has subsided. I'm now much more interested in living, life stories, and spiritual awakening.

So, I was at the bookstore several months ago and picked up a Hallmark magazine. I had never seen this publication before and wasn't quite sure about it. When I was in high-school, I loved the Hallmark store, but after awhile I felt it was a little too much. Kind of the way I feel about Oprah, a little over the top, but fascinating and intriguing to watch at the same time.

Well, I fell in love with the first issue I read (January-February 2007) and have fallen in love with every issue that followed. One article talked about a woman who adopted 5 children ranging in age from 5 to 15, all of whom suffer from fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. It brought tears to my eyes. Another article talks about getting back in touch with yourself and has bits from professional writers as well as average women who have re-discovered their own spirits.

There are recommendations and reviews on the latest greatest novels, natural recipes for silky hair, baking advice, interior decorating ideas (I still need a little of that...), and inspiring quotes like "Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." (
Hans Christian Anderson)

The magazine is organized into these great sections: Inspire. Renew. Nest. Connect. Nourish. Now if that's not inspiring enough, I don't know what is. It makes me want to absorb every word!

The tag line for the publication is "The magazine that celebrates your life." Truly. I think it celebrates the lives of us all!

No comments: